School Bottle Top Recycling Challenge
Will our necks be long enough to collect all your bottle tops?
Designed specifically for primary schools all across the UK, this unique recycling project aims to educate children about the importance of protecting our planet whilst inspiring them to think both innovatively and creatively in order to help make important environmental changes.
Every day, our natural environment is negatively affected by decisions that we make. It’s important for children to understand that, whilst we are responsible for many of the issues that our planet is currently facing, we can all work together to make positive changes to the Earth through determination and action.
We have created six colourful giraffe sculptures, specially designed to serve as an attractive store for plastic or metal bottle tops. We chose the giraffe to symbolise this project as they have recently been reported to have joined the list of endangered species. It’s a common misconception that animals like the giraffe are still in great abundance, but so many across the globe are facing issues that many people aren’t even aware of.
The Six Giraffe Sculptures Designed to Hold Bottle Tops
The giraffe sculptures have been crafted from wire mesh and feature entry points and hinged doors throughout for easy use and filling. The idea is for each participating school to fill the giraffe with bottle tops (once or as many times as needed to reach their personal goal over a one-month period) and use them to create something useful and innovative for their school or community. Once their project is complete, we ask that the giraffe is returned back to us at the Ironworks so it can be replenished or passed forward onto the next school, depending on your location.
Some creative and useful ideas:
- Bollard chains
- Footpaths or protective playground surfaces
- Something for the Horticulture or Science industry
- Lane separators for pools or perimeter ropes for lakes
If your school would like to join the project, please get in touch with us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or ring us on 0800 6888386.
When contacting us please include the following:
- The full name and address of your school.
- The contact details of your project leader. Please note, the project leader must be a staff member at the school. We cannot accept applications from parents, carers or students.
- We will provide and deliver the giraffe sculpture free of charge.
- Once you have completed your project, we ask that you return the giraffe to us or pass it onto the next school. The giraffes will be loaned out to each participating school for one-month over a 10-month period.
- Each student forming a part of the school's eco-committee or environmental group will be awarded with a certificate to celebrate and honour their efforts.
- One participating school will be awarded for collecting the most bottle tops and one will be awarded for coming up with the most innovative design. Winning schools will recieve a unique and specially designed trophy to award them for all of their hard work.
Schools already taking part:
Apley Wood Primary School
Redhill Primary Academy
Aqueduct Primary School
Old Park Primary School
St Georges c of e School Telford
Randlay Primary School & Nursery
Ladygrove Primary School
John Randall Primary
Coleham Primary School
Meole Brace Primary
Myddle CE School
Sundorne Infant School
Bomere Heath Primary School
Grange Primary School
Shrewsbury Cathedral Catholic Primary School & Nursery
St Edwards Primary School
Ysgol Plas Coch
Holt Community Primary School
Criftins CE Primary School
Holy Trinity CE Primary
Trefonen CE School
Ysgol Llanrhaeadr Y.M. Primary School
St Anthonys Catholic Primary School Wolverhampton
Brown Clee C E Primary School
Gospel Oak School
Christ Church Primary School
Ysgol Bro Cernyw
Sheriffhales Primary School
St John the Baptist CE Primary School
Broseley C of E Primary School
All giraffes will be lent out to schools on a first-come-first-serve basis so make sure you get in line quickly! We are very excited to see what you can come up with.