Here at the Ironworks we offer those passionate about creativity the opportunity to test their metal in the forge. We offer a number of blacksmithing experiences to suit all from beginners to the well versed. Each experience ticket covers the cost of the tuition and the materials required to create your own item to take home with you.
Discover the untold secrets of the art of blacksmithing here in our own interactive forge. Our exclusive blacksmith gift experiences allow everyone from intrigued novice to those with existing skills to test their metal at the anvil.
The gift experiences can last from a few hours to a full half day depending on your interests; alongside our resident blacksmiths you will learn the basics of the craft before being challenged to create something of your own to take home with you. Every time you use your toasting fork or poker you’ll be reminded of the unforgettable day spent in the heat of forge.
The experiences also make for thoughtful and unique gifts, ideal for those with a creative flair looking to try something a little different.
Blacksmith Experience Terms & Conditions
- I understand that by booking this experience, I have given up my right to take legal action against the British Ironwork Centre / Black Country Metalwork’s should I suffer personal injury. I understand that by requesting to take part in working in the forge, operating and using the forge equipment, I am responsible for my own health and safety.
- All courses include materials. PPE will be provided but please wear sturdy shoes/boots and old clothes. No Fleeces please.
- I understand it is my responsibility to ensure I am wearing the equipment provided Goggles, gloves, apron and face shields are all provided.
- Age – minimum age limit is 18 years of age.
- Half day experiences: a light refreshments will be provided, those taking the taster 2hr sessions will receive a hot drink.
- Items that are made can be taken home at no extra cost providing that it is within the price bracket chosen.
- Additional items can be made at an agreed charge.
- You must attend a health and safety briefing before starting you experience.
- Please note that the blacksmithing experience does not cover the use of welding equipment.
- Please telephone us before starting your journey.
- As the forge is a potentially hazardous working environment unsuitable behaviour may result in removal from the premises.
Duration: 2 Hours
These two hours are ideal for beginners looking to gain a new skill or try their hand at something a little different. With assistance of our blacksmiths you will be able to learn more about the craft of blacksmithing whilst creating your own toasting fork or poker to take home with you.
Like all our sessions, you will begin by going over some basic skills and safety precautions, from here the experience will include (but is not limited to) working your selected design within the searing coal of the forge. Your poker or toasting fork will then be beaten and shaped at the anvil ready to be cooled.
Half Day Session
Duration: 9.00am - 1.00pm
The half day experience is an ideal gift for those with a flair for creativity and are looking to increase their knowledge of metalwork. Together with one of our blacksmiths you will learn some of the classic skills including scrolling which can be transformed into the finial of a beautiful creation.
Within the half day experience you will also have the opportunity to create something of your own to take home with you, be it some hooks for a coat rack or toasting fork and poker.
Please note should you wish to craft a large item this may be priced separately.
Full Day Session
Duration: 9.00am - 4.00pm
This the perfect experience for those with a working knowledge of metalwork looking to discover more about the traditions of blacksmithing. Our full day expereinces are for those who really want to get stuck in and try a day in the life of a real blacksmith, you will work alongside our blacksmith during intense day-long experience. This covers the cost of materials for the creation of classical items and tuition.
The day begins early with things heating up right from the start with hot coals of the forge and a welcoming tea or coffee. Our Blacksmith will then delve straight in to some of key skills required of a smithy allowing them gauge your individual abilities. From here you will be able to begin creating and crafting your own piece to take home, discussing the design and techniques that you might use.
View Our Gallery